Drinking Deeply

Friday, May 27, 2005 at 3:48 AM

Abortion

An edited email I just sent off:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I must confess that the brief talk we had tonight left me a little shaken. The sanctity of life is something I believe very strongly in and I believe a belief in abortion of any form, with the one possible exception of when it's forced to be a choice between the two, even then I feel it may be debatable if this is an exception, rejects this and through it rejects God's law.

I believe that Scripture is clear that life is attached to the person before he or she is born. Additionally, Scripture lays down very firm rules and commandments against the taking of life, and any who disobey this have disobeyed God. This leads to the conclusion that abortion is wrong on an absolute scale (with the lone exception as I have pointed out previously). Whether or not the child will be loved or enjoy life (even if you could conclusively prove this, which I don't believe is possible) is secondary to their fundamental right granted by God to live.

Now, you may ask me why this is an issue, because it's clear you haven't had an abortion.

I believe Romans 1 is applicable:

28And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God gave them up to a debased mind to do what ought not to be done. 29They were filled with all manner of unrighteousness, evil, covetousness, malice. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, 30slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32Though they know God's decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

You may not be the people whom God is condemning in v. 28-30, but in giving any sense of approval towards abortion I believe v. 32 speaks directly to that.

Of course, no presentation of any Scriptural argument is complete without the good news, which is always the same. Even if someone has committed murder, even if someone has had an abortion, even if someone was the worst of all sinners, the promise of 1 John 1:9 stands: if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

I know it's a lot to think about, but I beg you to read it and pray over it, inspect Scripture, for it is our ultimate authority

What follows is the proof for my points from Scripture:

I know it sounds very harsh, but I believe Scripture speaks very clearly on A) The personhood from the womb and B) The sanctity of life, even from the womb, and to believe otherwise is tantamount to rebelling against God. I will establish 1) that God forbids the murder of people and does make explicit that this applies to unborn as well. 2) that the unborn baby is considered alive and is granted personhood by God.

1) This one is easy. Exodus 20:13 "You shall not murder." (footnote: The Hebrew word also covers causing human death through carelessness or negligence). I think we're all agreed on this, but I can clarify it and expound on it from the rest of Scripture if you would like.

Another verse that makes this explicit even with the unborn is Exodus 21:

22"When men strive together and hit a pregnant woman, so that her children come out, but there is no harm, the one who hit her shall surely be fined, as the woman's husband shall impose on him, and he shall pay as the judges determine. 23But if there is harm,[a] then you shall pay life for life.

If there is punishment for the taking of life (life for life) when it may be accidental, how much greater is the punishment when it is directly precipitated by the mother?

2) There is a lot of what people would say is "scientific evidence" that life begins at conception, though since I deny that science can prove anything conclusively I will stick with Scripture.

To begin:

Genesis 9:4

But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.

Here, God equates "life" with it's "blood." This is also seen in the rest of Scripture, where the shedding of blood is a term to describe the shedding of life. Jer. 22:3; Ps. 106:37-38; Dt. 19:10,13; 21:9; 11 Ki. 24:4; Prov 6:16-17 are just some verses (look up "blood" in biblegateway). An unborn baby has blood, thus it has life (according to God).

Finally, the fundamental commandment to the perseverance of life itself comes from God: because we are made in His Image. Since He is formless and Spirit, this clearly is not a physical image, so must be something else that is made in His Image. God breathes into us the "breath of life" (Gen. 2:7). Can one guarantee that God has not grafted in His image into an unborn baby? If you cannot, then there exists a possibility it has already been given, the prohibition against murder stands.

Luke 1

13But the angel said to him, "Do not be afraid, Zechariah, for your prayer has been heard, and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you shall call his name John. 14And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth, 15for he will be great before the Lord. And he must not drink wine or strong drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb.

Notice that John will be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother's womb. Is he an exception? the rule? Can anyone prove this? But there exists the possibility that a baby that someone is aborting indeed has the spirit of life.


Psalm 139:
13For you formed my inward parts;
you knitted me together in my mother's womb.
14I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.[a]
Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
15My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in the depths of the earth.
16Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there were none of them.


Notice that God takes an interest in the knitting the baby together. He has put it together, "wonderful are your works". He is involved in every detail. We are "fearfully and wonderfully made."

I beg of you to turn away from the thinking that marks the world and turn towards the thinking that marks Christ. Be transformed by a renewing of your mind, away from the patterns of this world and towards a pattern of Scripture. Take a stand against a culture that promotes human sovereignty and choice over divine sovereignty and Lordship.

If you want to talk more about this, over email, phone, or a meal I am always free, but I beg of you don't let your choice be "no choice." If you disagree with me, that is totally fine and I would love to talk it over with either of you (or both, or as many people as you want). If I am indeed wrong, then I ask you to correct me that I may be able to preach a more complete Gospel. Thanks

Additional reading:(This is the general link, I haven't read all the articles but I have read many other articles linked to on the site and I am in general agreement with almost everything on it)

http://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/articles/topic/abortion.html

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger Lisa said...

Hey Mickey,
Thanks for posting this. Was hoping to ask you about it after talking to Jelly last week. Beat me to it.  

~

Drop a thought