Drinking Deeply

Sunday, April 03, 2005 at 11:21 PM

The passing on of the Pope

Hmm, so I'm put in an interesting bind. Here I stand, while my roommate decrees that Pope John Paul II was one of the greatest popes ever, while the nations bow and offer their condolences, while people pray to a new "intercessor" in heaven.

How do I respond? With affirmation? I don't think I could do that. I cannot in good conscience affirm that the Pope did such great works that he would skip purgatory and go straight to heaven like my roommate claims (and as to how he claims to have assurance of salvation while denying Preserverance of Saints confounds me). I cannot affirm that a Pope who devoted his life totally to Mary (Roman concept of: Totus tuus, "totally yours," addressed not to Jesus, but to Mary) and depended upon her (as well as the rest of the "Saints") as intercessors (instead of the one intercessor in Heaven that we have in Christ) was a "great" Pope. I do not see someone who believed himself to be infallible (which, according to my roommate, he hammered) as possessing the saving faith God grants to the elect.

Do I go in the other direction, rejoicing that the day of the wicked has come upon him and exulting in God's glory in death and hell? Do I respond as in Psalm 107:

40he pours contempt on princes
and makes them wander in trackless wastes;
41but he raises up the needy out of affliction
and makes their families like flocks.
42The upright see it and are glad,
and all wickedness shuts its mouth.

Do I respond in the same way some of the blogs I've been reading respond? I don't know. Where is my love?

Remembering Romans 12:

17Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. 18If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. 19Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it[i] to the wrath of God, for it is written, "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord." 20To the contrary, "if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head."

Further reading:
James White responding to Peter Leithart about the wrongness of crediting the Pope with too much.

James White's other posts about the Pope here, here, here, here

The Potter's Clay has an interesting quote from Charles Spurgeon

The world responds



Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought