Drinking Deeply

Tuesday, April 12, 2005 at 4:21 PM

On a more lighter note

Some interesting reads as of late.

I just finished Vincent Cheung's Systematic Theology. I must say it was a very quick read. It was really precise and biblical. At the same time though, the intellectual ammo he lays out feels very dangerous in my hands, and as someone else has already warned me, the gifts of the Spirit are non-negotiable (necessary) if I am to use it. I think a lot of people would accuse some of the claims of the book as being arrogant, but Vincent has placed them on a very sound biblical ground and defends them straight from Scripture while affirming that it is only by the grace of God alone that people are able to see this. To be completely honest I would be terrified of being in a debate with him with me on the wrong side. Well, you'll have to read it yourself.

A copy of the book is online (free) on his website: www.rmiweb.org

Another thing of interest I just read today was a highlighting of Robbins' critique of Piper's theology in Vincent Cheung's blog. I think Robbins is right here, though I will say in Robbins seems a bit overly harsh in his language (He likes the term "neolegalism"), sometimes attacking the person to incite an emotional response more than anything else. I hate to say it because I honestly believe I have a lot to learn from Piper, but Robbins is right in that Piper has some unbiblical views. And because they are unbiblical, we should oppose it. Of course, for those of you who aren't Calvinists, the debate has no meaning whatsoever becuase you don't agree that Calvinism is what the Bible teaches.

This brings me right up into something else I read today by Tim Challis, who's blog I have linked on the right. In this blog post (be sure to read the addenum), he writes about why he believes that Calvinism = Biblical Theology (though he later says the word "Gospel" would be a better word). I think Tim brings up a lot of really good points, of which I would not do justice if I tried to summarize, so read it for yourself. It is a long post though, but I do agree with him.

**edit**

There is a fairly interesting followup post already. I haven't had the chance to read it through though. Feeling like the man rebuked in

Proverbs 18:17
The one who states his case first seems right,until the other comes and examines him.

**end edit**

Another book I just finished reading is Let the Nations Be Glad! by Piper. To be completely honest, I got really bogged down in his discussions of "people groups" and "nations" and "cultures" and all the Hebrew and Greek that he pulled in when defining those terms. On the plus side, it has really convicted me about a few of my unbiblical beliefs (and provided a possible answer to the question of infant salvation). It has also placed the grounds, desire, and goal for missions solely where it should be, on God. Something that I tend to forget... like everday.

Soli Deo Gloria

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think i agree with tim mcinch's point (http://www.challies.com/archives/000757.php)

To say Calvinism = Bible Theology (or Gospel as he puts it) mathematically says the two are one and the same which I can't say I wholeheartedly agree with. If Calvinism = Gospel, what about those before Calvin? Does Calvinism truly claim to be "God breathed, etc. etc."?
One thing I find very troubling about Calvin(I don't know if this carries over to CalvinISM) is the belief that economic wealth is a sign of God's favor(i.e. work hard = do well monetarily = God loves you). There is, however, some basis to the fact that Calvin and materialism have ties that are quite unbiblical.I suppose I'll have to do some reading up on Calvinism, but at the end of the day, after reading all the articles, I have to question whether this so-called "more theologically correct, Biblically sound" understanding has truly drawn me closer to God. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. At the end of the day, I cling to Psalm 131 and the faith that this way is true and that He has saved me.
Again I think we judge based on fruit...we constantly forget that the Pharisees believed themselves to have the most "correct theology", tithing all they owned meticulously, to the point of spices.
~wyu  

~

Drop a thought