Drinking Deeply

Monday, April 11, 2005 at 11:18 AM

Conviction time

Galatians 5:22-23
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

With a Catholic roommate this year, I've been challenged a bit as to what I believe actually saves. Jesus doesn't demand perfect theology, but he does demand repentance and faith. Could I affirm my roommate as a brother?

In recent weeks, I've been convicted more and more that the Roman gospel does not save. The reliance upon works in order to earn the grace of God, the denial of the sufficiency of Scripture (in fact, an affirmation of things contrary to Scripture), the worship of saints, the worship of Mary as co-mediator, universalism leanings, the Mass (a reoffering of Christ's physical blood/body as a sacrifice to reclean of sins), mortal sins, losing salvation... the list just goes on and on.

This conviction does not bring me great joy, though I would say as I've been reading oftentimes I've felt arrogant that I was right and he was wrong, not remembering that Paul states clearly "what do you have that God has not given?" Hand in hand with that conviction has been a conviction that if I don't talk to him, share my concerns, and present the freedom of the true Gospel, Dennis' blood is on my head as well. Because of this, I've decided to try to find time to sit down with Dennis and talk with him soon.

Please pray for me, pray for the fruit of the spirit. Pray that God would remove veils and create new hearts. I truly don't know what is going to happen, because we're both very strong believers, and by strong I mean hard-headed. Pray that my poor witness (oftentimes getting downright angry) would not be a hindrance to the message of the cross.

I've also lost my voice, which is rather unfortunate.


Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought