Drinking Deeply

Saturday, March 05, 2005 at 3:17 AM

Moron!

So right now I'm talking to a friend who's honestly looking for God. Well I guess I'm not talking anymore since I've long since shut up. Instead my Roman Catholic roommate decided to try to present his own views. Among them: Baptism is necessary for salvation, you can be baptized by dying for Christ, hell is where God is not, man can choose God, people not exposed to the gospel can be saved by doing good (sort of true..., people exposed to the gospel can be saved by being perfect... but no one is perfect.), there are multiple ways to God, obey the Church = salvation.

I don't know what to say. I sit here and don't want to say anything because I feel like some of the message is going ok... but so much of it is downright wrong. Right now he's quoting from the Catholic Catechism. What ever happened to the Bible? ::sigh:: I disagree with so much of what he says.

What do I say? I'm praying for love. I feel like he's turning my friend away from the true Jesus, but I don't know what to say. I pray for love and love and love. I want to love my roommate but I want to slap him more and more and tell him "NO! WHAT YOU ARE TEACHING IS FALSE, IT'S INCONSISTENT WITH THE BIBLE"... ::sigh:: The more I talk with him the more I listen to him the more I fear for his salvation, but at the same time we are both so adamant about our faith, about our views and that it is "right" that I don't see how we can reconcile. I want to love him, I want to bring him to a saving faith because right now I don't know if he has that. In fact I know he is currently not bearing fruit in consistent with saving faith. Mayhap God has him in His book of life. I don't know.

::sigh::

Praying for love. I don't think I can assert his salvation. Well, come to think about it, I cannot assert anyone's salvation, but we are to judge a tree by it's fruits and trust that God is a God that is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow (which isn't to say that it's not going to be part of God's plan to use His Spirit to bring someone into a relationship with Him, but just that He will not forsake those who call upon Him). I know I cannot assert his views as correct in any shape of the form. A complete rejection of justified sinners. A requirement on "works" even though he denies it. Committing idolatry with the Catholic Church. God have mercy on his soul. Bring him to a knowledge of you, let him see of his sins and repent. I don't know what to say, especially when he's "evangelizing" to a non-believer. I basically could not stand being in the same room while God's name was being slandered, but yet I didn't know what to say or do. I walked out and prayed for them. ::sigh:: God it is truly you who call, you who save, you who plant, you who grow. If it were up to me, I'd have failed miserably time and time again. Thank God.

**edit**

So right after I turned off my computer I realized how wrong my emphasis on having a "right" theology was. Sounds kind of like works too doesn't it? Mayhap my prayer should be "Lord have mercy on my soul!"

Well, it still leaves the issue of what to do about it. bleh

**end edit**
In other news. This guy rocks. Hooray for Chinese Christians!

Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Drop a thought