Drinking Deeply

Monday, February 14, 2005 at 11:34 PM

Crossing the line

So apparently my brother doesn't have a layover in SFO... awells.

Gen 46:31-34)

31Joseph said to his brothers and to his father's household, "I will go up and tell Pharaoh and will say to him, 'My brothers and my father's household, who were in the land of Canaan, have come to me. 32And the men are shepherds, for they have been keepers of livestock, and they have brought their flocks and their herds and all that they have.' 33When Pharaoh calls you and says, 'What is your occupation?' 34you shall say, 'Your servants have been keepers of livestock from our youth even until now, both we and our fathers,' in order that you may dwell in the land of Goshen, for every shepherd is an abomination to the Egyptians."
And they go on and do just that. If being a shepherd is an abomination to the Egyptians why do they tell them that they are ones? I'm confused.

The message on Sunday was pretty cool about a missionary God. One thing that was only touched upon by the message but really jumped out at me was Gen 3:16 in the curse to the female (who did not have a name yet!)

"Your desire shall be for your husband, and he shall rule over you" with a footnote on the "for" stating "or against." Creepy! I asked P. Ting about it and he said it that the term "desire for" was only used in the hebrew in Gen 4:7) "... And if you do not do well, sin is crouching at the door. Its desire is for you, but you must rule over it. (emphasis mine)" with a footnote on the same "for." Creepy! You know what I'm going to say!!!

Mark 16:17)

14Afterward he appeared to the eleven themselves as they were reclining at table, and he rebuked them for their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they had not believed those who saw him after he had risen. 15And he said to them, "Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. 16Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned. 17And these signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will cast out demons; they will speak in new tongues; 18they will pick up serpents with their hands; and if they drink any deadly poison, it will not hurt them; they will lay their hands on the sick, and they will recover."

Interesting! I remember someone telling me about a sect that used poisonous snakes to determine if someone was saved because of a verse in the Bible taken out of context. I believe this is that verse, but it does seem pretty creepy. Those who believe will be accompanied by signs... casting demons, speaking in tongues, picking up serpents... Why doesn't that happen today? Was Christ's words (which were directly to the apostles) only applicable to that time? Like I believe Paul the one that was bitten by a poisonous snake and shook it off with no effects. But at the same time that statement is right after the great commission: go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation. (v. 15) and we definitely take that as authoritative. What an interesting thought!

An interesting thought from 1 Cor 1:12-17

12What I mean is that each one of you says, "I follow Paul," or "I follow Apollos," or "I follow Cephas," or "I follow Christ." 13Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Or were you baptized in the name of Paul? 14I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius, 15so that no one may say that you were baptized in my name. 16(I did baptize also the household of Stephanas. Beyond that, I do not know whether I baptized anyone else.) 17For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.


Often I feel like I'm replacing Paul, Cephas, and Christ with Luther, Calvin, the Pope, and Arimius (sp?). Is predestination worth arguing about? How about dispensationalism? Catholithism? New Covenant Theology? Where is the line drawn for what is and is not a Christian? Where is the line drawn for "I need to evangelize this person." My roomate is Catholic and he struggles a lot because his belief system is very works centered and obviously (like everyone) he falls short. I try to reach out to him, to reassure him, but he holds so dogmatically to his Catholic Catechism that he feels like I'm speaking lies sometimes. I also feel like he's lying to himself a lot... and I'm always very quick to say "Hey! that's Satan speaking Dennis..." I don't think he's too receptive of that.

I also feel like the Bible speaks very clearly about His soveignty and to deny that it is God who chooses is almost heretical (in fact it was denounced as heretical by some council when Arimus first came out with his ideas... but so was Luther...). I know it's something that tears churches apart... but does that mean we shouldn't argue it? That just leads to pluralism though... and is grounds for a whole slew of things that I definitely don't want to see in the Christian community. Well God grant us wisdom!

Today is Valentines day. It's been packed. Deliveries to every single girl in FiCS. Crazy. I don't even know half of them. Man... but it's good. I'm glad I'm able to hang out with some of the other guys, especially those that I don't see that often. It's funny, I definitely see and hang out with a lot more the senior guys than anyone else. I wish I knew my classmates better, and I do know them decently well, but we don't really rub upagainst one another. awells.

Right now I'm feeling very blessed by all that the girls did for me. Seriously valentines day is totally no longer SAD (singles awareness day).


Labels:

Links to this post:

Create a Link

Blogger cwu said...

"If being a shepherd is an abomination to the Egyptians why do they tell them that they are ones? I'm confused."

what do you mean by "ones"?  

~

Blogger mxu said...

errr "why do they [Joseph+co] tell them [Egyptians] they [Joseph's family] are shepherds?"  

~

Blogger cwu said...

a reason that comes up to me is that they want a secluded, isolated area, away from the influence of the eyptians because of course the egyptian gods weren't to pleasing to the LORD. so, because the egyptians respect joseph for what he has done, they allow for this. i believe goshen is set apart from where the egyptians live.  

~

Drop a thought